Monday, June 4, 2007

From Sun up to Sun Down

For some of you mothers out there I should write that you have a 24 hour job. . . I wish I could claim that but to be honest with you by the time I hit the pillow at night I am so exhausted that I don't think a bulldozer taring down my house could wake me up. . . .so I am grateful that Tim plays Mr. Mom once I hit the sheets. I feel very fortunate to have him by my side. . . every once in a while I hear of men imagining their stay at home wives watching soap operas and eating bon bons. (I wish!) And even every once in a while I hear a, "You went to the Waterpark today. . . your life must be tough. . ." from Tim. Going to the waterpark is actually a lot harder than working around the house all day. In reality my job is pretty rough. Believe me I lost each of the twins at least once at the park. Just about gave me a heart attack. I am pretty fond of this little example below. . .it makes me laugh. . . it's kind of long . . .(are you surprised?). . . but well worth the read.

A man was sick and tired of going to work every day while his wife stayed home. He wanted her to see what he went through so he Prayed: "Dear Lord: I go to work every day and put in 9 hours while my wife merely stays at home. I want her to know what I go through, so please allow her body to switch with mine for a day. Amen

God, in his infinite wisdom, granted the man's wish. The next morning, sure enough, the man awoke as a woman. He arose, cooked breakfast for his mate, awakened the kids, set out their school clothes, fed them breakfast, packed their lunches, drove them to school, came home and picked up the dry cleaning, took it to the cleaners and stopped at the bank to make a deposit, went grocery shopping, then drove home to put away the groceries, paid the bills and balanced the checkbook.

Then he cleaned the cat's litter box and bathed the dog. It was already 1 P.M. and he hurried to make the beds, do the laundry, vacuum, dust and sweep and mop the kitchen floor. Got in the car to pick up the kids from school but it wouldn't start, called AAA and then ran to get the kids and got into an argument with them on the way home. Still, he set out milk and cookies and got the kids organized to do their homework, then set up the ironing board and watched TV while he did the ironing. At 4:30 he began peeling potatoes and washing vegetables for salad, breaded the pork chops and snapped fresh beans for supper.

Difficult as it was, he tried to greet his wife cheerily when she came home tired. He set the table, served dinner and after supper, he picked up the dishes from the table, removed the tablecloth, put the flowers and candles back on the table, put all the food into containers, washed the pots and pans and put the dishes in the dishwasher and cleaned the kitchen. He took the laundry out of the dryer and folded it, bathed the kids, read them a story and put them to bed. At 10 P.M. he was exhausted and although his daily chores weren't finished, he went to bed. Now he was expected to become a sex siren and be excited to make wild, passionate, endless love. Somehow he managed to get through it without complaint but he was wiped out. To top it off, one of the kids had a nightmare and his wife slept through it all so he had to get up to calm the child. Now he really had a headache!

The next morning, he awoke and immediately knelt by the bed and said: Lord, I don't know what I was thinking. I was so wrong to envy my wife's being able to stay home all day. Please, oh please, let us trade back." The Lord, in his infinite wisdom, replied: "My son, I feel you have learned your lesson and I will be happy to change things back to the way they were. You'll just have to wait nine months, though. You got pregnant last night."

LOL! Humor is good for the soul isn't it?? I just love that! I definitely had a day like that Sunday. . .Monday. . .Ok. . .everyday! I've been moving non stop since 5:55am. . . . . Every time I look at my laundry I just have to laugh . . .I don't know why. . .maybe if I don't laugh I'd start to cry. That huge pile is just since Friday (3 days worth) and it keeps on growing. :) The boys think it's pretty funny. . .little do they know they are going to be folding it some day. Well, I 'm just hear to say that if you are feeling a bit under appreciated. . .which I do some times. I know your job is difficult. I think we share similar job descriptions. ;) I have a small reminder hanging in my house, "No success can compensate for failure in the home." From sun up to sun down mom's work is hard and should be appreciated even on a bon bon day.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

EVERY day should be a bon bon day! At least at my house.

Dana and ohana said...

Amen! Somedays I wonder what it will be like when my kids answer when I call for them, pick up their room, can go potty without announcing what just happened in the bathoom, and can help with the LAUNDRY.-5 loads today, thank you very much, I just may have time for a soap opera and bon bons.

libbie said...

I second that Amen Dana! I swear I am gonna be rich someday and hire someone to do my laundry for me . . . . Now . . . just how I am going to get rich????? Any ideas!!!

MaDeb or Deb said...

Great Blog.. I know that your laundry does look like that and that soap operas and bon bons don't live in your house. but... I do know that laundry can wait while you spend endless time kissing booboos, feeding 4 little mouths, thinking of healthy activities instead of plopping them in front of the TV all day, and the list goes on.... I realize now that love and attention is far more important than a spotless clean house and laundry always done and folded. I know that mom's job's are really tough and more work than you ever imagined but before you know it your house will be empty and you'll wonder where all the laundry is, why your toilet is still clean, and why the floor doesn't have to be swept after every meal and snack. Enjoy the fun times, the messy kisses, dirty faces, laundry galour, and even a messy house. Everything waits because YOUR JOB IS NEVER DONE.. Thanks for being such a wonderful daughter and perfect Mom to my little Grand babies....

Anonymous said...

Just to go on record here:
Shauna you are amazing. The things you do with the children are inspiring- not to mention the endless things you do to keep the house running smooth. You are amazing and I wanted the world to know that I genuinely feel lucky to have you in my life.
xxxooo
Timmers

Barrett Bunch said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Barrett Bunch said...

Oh Shauna, I so needed you blog today! Thank you, not sure why I am admitting this but I actually cried - no I am not pregnant! LOL

Tim why are you so stinkin cute, love the comment!

laura said...

Amen. Misery loves company. Not that being a mom is miserable- but laundry is.

Becca said...

Loving your blog Shaun! You're always so uplifting-- I look forward to your inspiration and thoughts every day! It's tough being a mom...sometimes I feel like there's so much on my plate that nothing gets done well.. but it's the best job in the world all at the same time! :) Thanks for your thoughts!

Anonymous said...

I will take the panties, no need to wash them